The 29th Olympic Games in Beijing
On 28th July at the Monte Carlo Bay, H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince Albert II presented to the press the Monegasque delegation to the 29th Olympic Games in Beijing in the presence of various key figures, members of the Monegasque Olympic Committee and Olympic players. A film tracing Monaco’s participation in the Summer Olympic Games since 1920 was screened.
Finally, the moment everyone had been waiting for – the departure for Beijing where the 29th Summer Olympic Games took place from 8th to 24th August. Five athletes represented the Principality of Monaco: Ms Fabienne Pasetti (shooting), Messrs Sébastien Gattuso (athletics), Mathias Raymond (rowing), Yann Siccardi (judo) and Romain Marcessou (weight lifting).
The Monegasque Olympic Committee appointed as Head of Mission Ms Sylvie Bertrand who fulfilled her duties extremely efficiently and diligently. The delegation’s standard bearer at the Opening Ceremony was Mr Mathias Raymond.
Mr Stéphan Maggi gave a daily account of the Monegasque delegation’s stay in the local press and the Committee’s website with documented articles as well as interviews on MP3
As far as the results are concerned:
- Sébastien Gattuso finished 59th / 80 competitors in the 100m,
- Mathias Raymond finished in 20th position in the general skiff ranking,
- Romain Marchessou ranked 24th / 28 participants in the -77 kg category in weight lifting,
- Yann Siccardi lost his first fight through an Ippon in the -60 kg
- and finally Fabienne Pasetti achieved 41st place / 47 competitors.
The medal and diploma commemorating participation in the Games were presented by H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince.