9th edition of the European Youth Olympic Festival in Śląsk-Beskidy
- From 15th to 20th February 2009 the 9th edition of the European Youth Olympic Festival took place in Śląsk-Beskidy (Poland). A young Monegasque from the Monegasque Ski Federation, Arnaud Alessandria, took part in the Festival.
Start of the Slalom
- On 20th February in the giant slalom on extremely hard ice, Arnaud performed a very good first heat. Leaving 53rd, he finished 27th, which enabled him to leave in 4th place in the second heat (only the first 30 can take part in the 2nd heat). In the second heat, he lost his binding in a hole and had to withdraw
Later in the season, the young skier demonstrated his skills by obtaining extremely good results: 1st in the Super G, 2nd in the Downhill and 3rd in the Giant at the Junior World Championships (in his category: 15-17 yr olds)
- From 18th to 21st February the Chefs de Mission Seminar for the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games 2010 took place. Mr Jacques Pastor, in his capacity as Chef de Mission, who attended the seminar, was therefore able to obtain the latest information necessary for the delegation to take part in Canada.
|Whistler Olympic Village||Bobsleigh site|
- On 7th March, the San Marino NOC celebrated its 50th anniversary. H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince took part in the festivities relating to the event:
Taking part in the Chefs de Mission Seminar for the European Youth Summer Olympic Festival in Tampere (Finland) (21st /26th April) provided Monaco’s Chef de Mission with the opportunity of meeting representatives of the Organising Committee and obtaining the information necessary for the delegation.
On 1st June, prior to the 13th edition of the Games of the Small States of Europe, important decisions were made at the Executive Committee meeting and General Assembly, such as :
- admission of the Montenegrin NOC, which will take part for the first time with a small delegation in the Liechtenstein Games in 2011,
- election of Mr Angelo Vicini (San Marino) in the capacity of Secretary General of the GSSE for a 4 year period,
- election of Mr Jean-Pierre Schoebel (Monaco) in the capacity of President of the Technical Commission for a 2-year period. We are delighted about this nomination which is not only an acknowledgement of the qualities and efforts of Mr Schoebel, but also is a guarantee for Monaco to be represented at the technical discussions.
From 10th to 24th June, like every year in Olympia, the International Olympic Academy held its 49th session. Ms Cyrielle Orecchia attended the working sessions. The main topic was: The Olympic Games as a Celebration: Evaluation of the Olympic Games of Beijing 2008 and the Course towards the Olympic Games of Vancouver 2010.
Within the scope of the Olympic Day celebrations, the Monegasque Olympic Committee sponsored three sports events:
- on 10th June: the 1st FANB Monaco Challenge "Sport-Health-Environment”, which consists of an orienteering competition on sports and general knowledge subjects in the Fontvieille Gardens for secondary school students (1st and 2nd year),
- On 23rd June, the 20th School Games Athletics (7th)
- and Inter-class Swimming
The events were highly successful with 1,350 pupils from the various schools in the Principality taking part, all of whom received a diploma from the International Olympic Committee.
- Next >>